Gallery: Italian Auto Icons 2015
Melbourne's Lygon Street hosted a colourful (mostly red) display of current and classic vehicles for the Italian Auto Icons display on Sunday, 1st March
Italian Auto Icons 2015 display
Italian motoring enthusiasts were treated to a fantastic display of classic and modern cars and motorcycles in a closed-off section Carlton's Lygon Street on Sunday, 1st March.
An estimated 3000-plus specators took full advantage of Melbourne's sunny skies for the first day of Autumn and could casually mingle among some rare and exotic vehicles as well as talk to some of the owners.
Hosted by the Italian Auto Icons, the event is now in its second year and featured a broad range of models from six Italian car clubs, plus new models from major sponsor, Zagame Automotive. Over 50 vehicles lined the street representing Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia.
Motorcycles and scooters were also on show, including a rare 1972 Ducati 450 Desmo 'Silver Shotgun' and an impressive display of scooters from Vespa Australia, Vespa House and Vespa Club of Melbourne.
Some of the special feature vehicles included in the display were:
- A rare 1966 Long Nose Ferrari 275 GTB Coupe
- A limited production 1974 Fiat 124 Abarth Spider
- 1957 Lancia Appia Zagato (GTZ)
- 1974 Lancia Stratos Stradale
- 1986 Lamborghini Countach QV5000
- Veteran Australian Sun Tour Cycling bike rider Angelo "Bushy-tail" Catalono and his 1948 Fiat Van, which was the original back-up support car used in the Sun Tour road races during 1952-56.
- Zagame display featuring the new Ferrari California T, one of two Alfa Romeo 8Cs in the country and the new model Alfa Romeo 4C (Launch Edition).
Zagame Automotive also supplied the first prize in a raffle to support the Murdoch Children's Research Institute, where one lucky winner received a new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Progression. Second prize was a Vespa 125 Primavera, supplied by Vespa House (the raffle was drawn the following day).
We're giving away the last great Aussie Holden V8! Enter here for your chance to win!
Sign up to our free weekly newsletter for more unique car reviews and features plus see the latest unique and classic cars for sale.