1923 DAIMLER D16 LANDAULETTE for sale £35,000

Cars / Classic Cars (UK)

daimler d16 landaulette 481677 001 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 002
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 003 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 004
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 005 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 006
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 007 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 008
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 009 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 010
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 011 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 012
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 013 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 014
daimler d16 landaulette 481677 015 daimler d16 landaulette 481677 016
CALL 01375 379719
Title 1923 DAIMLER D16 LANDAULETTE
Make DAIMLER
Price GBP £35,000
Refcode TA1053996
Mileage (Miles) 0
Mileage (KM) 0
Colour Blue
RHD/LHD RHD
Gearbox type Manual

Chassis number: 21825
Registration number: XP8310

Utterly Charming with very period upright coachwork: This Sleeve valve Daimler was purchased by the Duke of Hamilton From London Dealers Stratton Instone of Pall Mall for the use of a Miss Louise Lind-af-Hageby whom was the Duchess of Hamiltons Ladys Companion. This was a role usually filled by single middle class ladies & involved everything from acting as a personal assistant to a travelling companion, - a position that in Royal terms would be referred to as a Lady in Waiting. The Hamiltons must have thought a great deal of her as they not only provided her with a car, but a Daimler no less!

The car was in regular use around London including appearing in the 1926 Lord Mayors parade upon which date it carried the Swedish Ambassador, no doubt due to Miss Lind-af-Hagebys Swedish ancestry. It was put in storage in 1929 & remained so up to the second world war.

In 1959 the Daimler was purchased by a garage owner who kept it stored but never got around to his intention of restoring it. 1999 found it passing into the hands of a Mr Simon Barringer who took the body off prior to attending to & restoring the mechanics of the car. The body was then re-united with the chassis & a full re-trim undertaken using the original foxed & moth-eaten fabrics as a template for the new interior. The car was also beautifully painted in an arresting colour of blue over traditional black. This was a five year process & clearly a job well done as the car presents beautifully today & is to show standards. Interior seating is of buttoned cloth trimmed with silk rope edge work.

We believe this to be the only Daimler D16 extant & on the road making a rare bird indeed. The car must look much as it did when it resided at Regents Park in the 1920s/ The six cylinder sleeve valve engine lives up to its reputation for smooth silent running & is a pleasure to drive. One must be aware that the clutch pedal is a two stage unit that when fully depressed also acts as an engine brake. One thus only depresses it half way on up changes & fully on down changes in order to achieve smooth changing results. Under the bonnet the car is utterly original, tidy & not messed about with. Indeed the car as a whole is in fine order & must be close to how it left the factory in 1923. A Large Klaxon horn is fitted to the bulkhead & a temperature gauge to the radiator top.

The car abounds in delightful period details from the supplying dealers plaque to a full set of original instrumentation. The rear Landaulette roof opens easily allowing for alfresco motoring for the rear seated occupants. Stately rather then sporting, this is a car in which to make a progress at a leisurely pace whilst allowing those with a bent for furious driving ( a motoring offence up to the 1890s) to pass by on their travels. Th coach work has no division & is thus commodious in the extreme for both front & rear occupants.

The information contained within classified listings on TradeUniqueCars.com.au is generated by the private and dealer advertisers. Please confirm listing details including price and specifications directly with the seller.
CALL 01375 379719
Email Dealer
Dealer Address
Vintage And Prestige

Prestige House, 9 Globe Industrial Estate, Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST
United Kingdom