1937 BENTLEY 4 1/4 LITRE 4 1/4 Litre 3 Position Drophead Coupe for sale POA

bentley 4 1/4 litre 635745 001 bentley 4 1/4 litre 635745 002
CALL 0208 226 3040
Title 1937 BENTLEY 4 1/4 LITRE 4 1/4 Litre 3 Position Drophead Coupe
Make BENTLEY
Price POA
Refcode TA1132496
Mileage (Miles) 0
Mileage (KM) 0
Colour See Photo/Text
RHD/LHD RHD
Gearbox type Manual

During the late 1920s and early 1930s Bentley ran into grave financial trouble and by 1931 Rolls-Royce had stepped in and bought the assets and goodwill of the defunct company and formed a new one, Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd. Rolls-Royce had considered the Bentley marque to be a growing threat to their future success, but following their purchase decided to continue the Bentley name, albeit under their own stewardship, taking the company in an entirely new direction with the creation of the Silent Sports Car or Derby Bentley. In 1933 the new Bentley 3.5 Litre model was released and was an instant success. The combination of effortless power and style met with almost universal praise. It was powered by a developed twin carburettor version of Rolls-Royces own 20/25 model and was installed in a low 126 inch wheelbase chassis that basically remained unaltered until the cessation of production in 1939 due to the outbreak of hostilities. Synchromesh was present on third and fourth gears and the Derbys were fitted with a cross flow cylinder head and superb servo assisted brakes, encapsulating all of the perfection of Rolls-Royce engineering in this small sporting Bentley. Fitting of individual coachwork by approved body builders continued in true Rolls-Royce fashion giving potential buyers a great deal of choice in the look of their new motor car. 1936 saw further improvements with the introduction of the 4.25 Litre model when production of the 3.5 Litre unit ceased. H.J.Mulliner are synonymous with the Bentley marque and were responsible for some of the finest coachwork fitted to Derby Bentleys in terms of the build quality and overall appearance. Chassis No B190JD is perhaps one of their most stylish creations in the pre-war era. It was originally completed in March of 1937, the only car built to Design No 5861 by H.J.Mulliner on the 4 1/4 Litre chassis and then subsequently supplied to Mr H.M. Thompson of Edinburgh. It remained in the Edinburgh area until 1942 when it was purchased by The Holland Gravel Co Ltd in Derby and changed hands again in 1946 when it was purchased by Lady L. Throokmorton in Surrey. The car then moved to the London area in 1952 where it remained until 1960. At this time Chassis No B190JD was used at Pinewood Studios for a film starring US actor Robert Wagner who was so impressed with the car that he bought it and when the filming concluded he took it back to America with him. A further three American owners followed up until 1990 when the car returned to the UK and became part of a large collection in the north of England. Over the next eighteen years, B190JD covered only 700 miles until being acquired in 2008 by the present owner. Following some essential mechanical works to ensure reliability, the car was taken on the BDC tour of Alaska in 2009 where it performed very well. Upon the cars return to the UK the owner decided upon an extensive restoration program to bring the car up to show standard. Over the ensuing years a full body off restoration was carried out, covering all mechanical and cosmetic aspects. The coachwork was removed and the chassis was extensively restored. All major mechanical components were stripped, overhauled and restored to as new standard. The existing ash frame was in poor condition so a new frame was constructed and the coachwork was extensively restored to ensure a perfect surface to prepare for painting. The chrome was re-plated, the interior woodwork restored and re-veneered and a new hood and interior were trimmed to complete the process. The restoration took several years as one would expect and all of the work was carried out to the highest standards. Each stage of the restoration is documented photographically and the car comes complete with extensive files documenting the process. B190JD took its bow at concours level in 2016 when it won best in class, best Derby Bentley and also the runner up for best in show at the annual BDC Concours. The following year it followed up this success with best in class at the RREC annual concours. Since 2008, every aspect of this beautiful motor car has been restored to ensure perfect performance, reliability and also show quality cosmetics. Its one of the very best Derby Bentleys Frank Dale & Stepsons has had the privilege of offering for sale and one that comes highly recommended.

The information contained within classified listings on TradeUniqueCars.com.au is generated by the private and dealer advertisers. Please confirm listing details including price and specifications directly with the seller.
CALL 0208 226 3040
Email Dealer
Dealer Address
Frank Dale And Stepsons Ltd

125 Harlequin Avenue, Great West Road, Brentford, London, TW8 9EW
United Kingdom